correspondence tuesday [five]

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 / Comments (0) / by elizabeth

for the past couple of years, I've tried to set aside time on tuesdays to write letters or send packages to the important people in my life who don't live near me. i decided to bring it to the blog and write to an anonymous [important] person each tuesday. this is the fifth edition - enjoy!

"Growing up sucks, and most [people] do not live up to your expectations. But there are those times when everything...it all falls together perfectly, and its incredible...it's those moments, no matter how depressingly few and far between, that make growing up worth it.” -Dawson's Creek

We just got off the phone from one of our hour - long conversations – you know, the kind where I have to sit on the bathroom floor with the light out (because light = fan, and fan = I can’t hear you). I don’t know how our conversations can go from Gossip Girl to Dawson’s Creek to [rest]oration to Jesus and back in those sixty minutes, but somehow they do and somehow we keep up.

We also talked about transitions, and how much our lives have changed in the past year, how we are different people now. I guess it’s silly to discuss such things, because we know that change happens. Nothing can stay the same from year to year. Your job changes, your friends change, your opinions change, your feelings change.

But you know how sometimes you are sitting on the porch in the morning sunlight, drinking a great cup of coffee and your heart is overwhelmed with gratitude? And sometimes, this makes your eyes fill up with tears because you know there’s no where else you’d rather be at that exact moment? Those are the times I don’t want to change, the parts of my life that I wish would stay consistent. And I hope that our friendship is a part of my life that will stay consistent throughout each season, cause it’s kinda like sunlight in the morning and a good cup of coffee. Oh yeah, and most of all it makes my heart swell with gratitude.

I’ve told you this before, but you are one of the threads that holds my heart together.

I forget that I haven’t known you forever, that we are new, that as much as I know about you there is still more to be learned. And I’m glad I get to learn you, hear your stories, and figure out how you got to this point in your life. I get to ask questions about your past and future while we encourage each other to focus on the present and to risk it all by staying put. And then I get to share myself because you want to know, you care about my life, and my opinion matters – and isn’t that what everyone wants? To know that they matter? You matter.


love,
elizabeth