correspondence tuesday [nine]

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 / Comments (0) / by elizabeth

for the past couple of years, I've tried to set aside time on tuesdays to write letters or send packages to the important people in my life who don't live near me. i decided to bring it to the blog and write to an anonymous [important] person each tuesday. this is the ninth edition - enjoy!

the thing I love the most about you is that, at any point in time, I can ask you, “what’s God doing in your life” and you always have an answer. and it’s never the “Sunday school” type answer—you’re always genuine, even if the answer is difficult.

I guess we first met back in 2002 when I became friends with a group of your friends. you were living across the country at that time, and all I heard was how much I would like you. now, in most cases, when someone tells me “you will really like ____, you guys have a lot in common,” I usually don’t end up liking the person very much. [I don’t know what exactly that says about me, but one day I’ll ask a therapist]. but I liked you immediately, and our discussions soon went from surfacy getting to know you to deep and meaningful and packed full of the good stuff.

we haven’t technically spent a whole lot of time together, but every minute is filled with Jesus and life’s lessons and advice and wisdom. I have watched how you choose live your life – really living it, embracing the changes and the ups and downs gracefully. you are so inspiring to me.

I love your spontaneity, like when I’m sitting in a coffee shop in Nashville with an hour to spare and you drop everything to come hang with me, even just for a few. I love that you made the most out of being young and single and enjoyed your life even when it was so hard to be alone sometimes. I love how you are well aware of your mistakes and have learned from them. i love that you let yourself off the hook too, when it's time.

i love the way you handled your mom's life by loving her and enjoying the short time you had with her. and i love how you handled her death, exemplifying your faith in the belief that God knows what's best for you and your family, and trusting that He gives and takes away. you showed the world that God is still good, even in the hardest circumstances. i know your mom is so proud of the incredible daughter she raised - she and your dad did a great job.

I also love that you know you’ve met the One and that he’s perfect for you…and I love that in a little more than 3 weeks you are going to marry that man. I love that it was important to you for me to be there with you, to witness what will surely be one of the greatest days of your life. it's important to me that i get to be there.

i can't wait to see you walk down that aisle. i can't wait to hear what God's doing with your marriage. i can't wait to live life with you and walk beside you, even miles apart.

love,
elizabeth