Monday, February 28, 2005 / Comments (0) / by elizabeth

from my livejournal...

Today I upgraded cars...if you can consider getting to drive a nicer minivan an "upgrade." I have had the privledge of driving the "wooden minivan" since I got home. For those of you who don't know...this is the van I drove to Spartanburg that one time like two years ago (has it really been almost 2 years?!) The '89. Woodgrain. Honors student sticker from when I was in the 7th grade (eleven years ago). Passenger side door doesn't open and the window on that side doesn't roll down. And it costs $35 to fill up...which I have to do about weekly. Week two the alternator died...$175 later, still running. Week four the window track died...today I drove around in the rain with a white garbage bag over it...which I lifted up to see out of when I wanted to turn. SO today as I was making sure the window was covered enough for me to drive, one of the teachers I work with offered the use of her old minivan...a '95 that actually works. Still a minivan, but much better.

I used to really care about stuff like this. Even three months ago I would have been devestated to drive a minivan around town. BUT WHY do we even care? It gets me from point A to point B. Yeah, I look like a moron. Yeah, there's no way to even try to make it cool. But, really. It's paid for. All I pay for is gas (and various repairs I suppose). These days all I do is laugh and remind myself to be grateful I even have something to drive at all.

Anyway...I found out today that I get to go to NYC for Spring Break again this year. How cool is it that I graduated and I still get Spring Break?!