....a year in the life: the backstory

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 / Comments (1) / by elizabeth

I picked my top 10 from the past year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...they're gonna come to light tonight

These lyrics are by Copeland; the song is 'When You Thought You'd Never Stand Out.' This was taken while sitting inside a bar in the east village. I happened to look out the window and snap the picture at the exact moment that the sky looked like that. This picture is completely unedited - that might be why it's one of my faves!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...surrender

I spent the weekend in Nashville with my best friend and her husband. I, along with both of their families, had great seats to see Chris Tomlin at Libscomb University. I love this picture for two reasons: 1. The people pictured are Asian. I was about to embark on my 4th trip to China and it was a sweet reminder of how God moves in all cultures; and 2. I caught them uninhibited, unashamedly worshipping Jesus. It's a beautiful thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...in here, i hear your laughter floating down like paper rain

These lyrics are from Jump, Little Children's 'Midnight,' one of my favorite songs of all time. I took this near Times Square. The police officers were trying to keep the homeless guy from sleeping on the street. Right after I took this picture, one of them looked right at me and said, "I saw that." I laughed but I was scared on the inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and there was light, and it was good

This picture is on my wall in my apartment with the caption "Revolution starts here." More than being a cool photo, it represents a night that changed my life forever. The night before REVO Nashville in 2007, several people met to pray for REVO. I assumed it would last about 15 minutes and we would be done....I was very wrong. We were still there 3 hours later. Suffice it to say it was an incredible night with some incredible people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...my day in central park

A perfect New York day! Me, Harry Potter, and beautiful weather in Central Park!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...i need you, my love, to come and sing for me...a brand new revolutionary melody

These lyrics are from 'Spinning' by Over the Rhine.I love Coney Island...I am attracted to all things imperfect and CI is absolutely perfect in its imperfection. It's white trashtastic! My friend Molly and I ventured out there one summer day and tried to do something about our pasty white skin to no avail. I did get some great pictures, however, and enjoyed spending the afternoon with Molls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops

These lyrics are from 'Burn This City' by Cartel. When we first moved into our apartment we took a day trip to New Jersey...Manhattan has NO target or wal-mart and we needed a few things, plus we wanted to go to ikea. That night, after we ate at P.F. Changs, Micole and I got to take the ferry back to the city. The view was spectacular. The skyline at night is one of my favorite things in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...commitment


Over Labor Day weekend two of my friends and I got inked. We took photos of the event as it happened but when we stopped by walgreens we decided to take a group shot. This is probably one of my favorite photos of all time, not just 2007. I love tattoos, I love our tattoos, I love that I got them with two of my favorite people. I love it because it was a hurried picture at a random Walgreens in Nashville but it ended up beautiful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...i am unfinished

My dad and I were on our way back to my mom's house from dinner and we saw this unfinshed fence. Dad is supportive of my artistic endeavors, so when I say things like, "That would make a great photo!" he stops the car and turns around so I can capture it. (This has happened on more than one occasion!) This picture was taken during a spiritually difficult time where God was really working on different things in my life and making me aware that His work on my heart was (and is) very unfinished. For this I am grateful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...You are in control

The theme of 2007 if I had to pick one...
This is written on the sidewalk in the East Village. Since I took it, I've gotten a new job, a new apartment, new roommates, new friends, and a new perspective. I am learning that nothing stays the same for long. Change is inevitible, and I'm trying to embrace life as is and to be fully present. I get to live in New York City with 4 amazing women in a huge apartment and work in the fashion industry. I get to be part of the Gallery Church of Manhattan and learn what it means to be the hands and feet of Jesus instead of just the mouth. I get to eat at cool restaurants and see Gossip Girl being filmed on Madison Avenue and get in an elevator with Jane Fonda. I get to be part of a true community and "do life" beside incredible, genuine, fun people, all the while maintaining friendships with wonderful people back home (including those who have moved to other parts of the country).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my life, and it's only getting better.

1 comments:

joy @ March 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM

you, my friend, are truly beautiful.