correspondence tuesday [six]

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 / Comments (0) / by elizabeth

for the past couple of years, I've tried to set aside time on tuesdays to write letters or send packages to the important people in my life who don't live near me. i decided to bring it to the blog and write to an anonymous [important] person each tuesday. this is the sixth edition - enjoy!

The other night one of my roommates asked how we met. I started with China, and the meetings, and how excited you were that I was going even though you didn’t even know me. I told her – and I don’t think I’ve ever said this to you – that you filled a role in my life that I didn’t know needed filling. [edit: just like mb] Thank you.

I can invite you anywhere and you will make everyone feel comfortable and important. You’re one of my friends who can handle most every situation well. You can find something in common with anybody. You’re engaging. Your personality is captivating. Your enthusiasm is contagious. You want to be everyone’s friend but not on a surface level – your desire is to really know them. Your honesty is refreshing.

Last year was a hard year for you. You don’t need me to tell you this, you lived it. It was tough. But somehow, you emerged from it another person. Yes, you have wounds. Yes, one day they will be healed. However, the person you’ve grown into is beautiful. Worth the pain? I believe so. It’s part of refinement.

You’re becoming everything you’ve ever rebelled against – rebelling against rebellion! (I’m so proud!) You are a good teacher. You are a loyal friend. You’re happier than I’ve ever seen you. Happiness looks good on you. You’re growing up and choosing to be an adult. You’re taking responsibility for yourself. Fighting your own battles. Making your own decisions, whether good or bad.

I am proud of you. I'm glad you're part of my life.

love,
elizabeth